Name | David Doose |
DOB | 05/09/1966 (50 years) |
Occupation | Chef |
History | I have had trouble opening the door and writing recently as my right hand feels very weak. My left arm has been quite stiff and I can’t bend it properly. If asked specifically, this is progressive and the right hand started first. This means I have had to call in sick for two weeks now, and the restaurant business just cannot run for longer without me. I want to know if I am going to die soon because I have no energy and my wife thinks I am wasting away. Just look at me! I’ve also noticed my muscles twitching, and am very anxious. |
Past Medical History | Nil |
Drug History | Paracetamol for stress headaches |
Family History | Adopted so unknown. |
Social History | Non-smoker, drinks a few times a week with his wife (a couple of glasses of wine with dinner), no recreational drug use |
Introduction and consent | |
Name, age, occupation | |
Presenting complaint | |
History of Presenting Complaint (duration, onset, any triggers, progression, worse at a specific time of the day) | |
Previous episodes or recent illnesses | |
Any associated features (tremor, weakness, wasting, fasciculation, swallowing/speech problems, falls, neuro symptoms – headaches, seizures, LOC, sphincter control, sensory changes, visual/speech disturbances) | |
Red flags: headache (worse on coughing/bending/with vomiting), loss of consciousness, recent trauma | |
Constitutional symptoms (fever, weight loss, malaise, loss of appetite) | |
Past Medical History | |
Family History | |
Drug History and allergies | |
Social History (smoking, alcohol, drugs) | |
Ideas e.g. “Was there anything you thought it might be?” | |
Concerns e.g. “What about it is worrying you in particular?” | |
Expectations e.g. “Is there anything in particular you’re hoping we could do for you?” | |
Summarises and thanks patient | |
Offer differentials (MND, bulbar palsy, multiple sclerosis, MG) and appropriate follow up (full neurological examination, bloods, nerve conduction tests) |
0 Comments
Post a Comment