Name | Alison Ash |
DOB | 01/06/1992 (24 years) |
Occupation | Hairdresser |
History | I am scared I might be going blind. I have had diabetes since I was a child and I know that losing your sight is a complication if it is poorly controlled (which it isn’t!) and yesterday, I had a sudden loss of vision in my left eye. It is painful if I try to move it and nothing has seemed to make the vision come back. This has happened once before a few months ago and at that time, it was a sudden blurring of my vision, with special difficulty in seeing red things. Besides this, I have been feeling quite tired for the last six months, probably because we are low on staff at work. Sometimes my body feels weaker and I’m getting clumsier at work. I also have some tingling in my legs which I’m worried is due to my diabetes, and this is worse after I take a hot bath. |
Past Medical History | Type 1 DM since 12 years |
Drug History | Insulin injections, NKDA |
Family History | Mum and maternal aunt have Type 1 DM. |
Social History | Smokes 5-10/day (6 years), drinks occasionally at weekends (a couple of glasses of wine), no recreational drug use. Lives with long-term partner of 4 years. |
Introduction and consent | |
Name, age, occupation | |
Presenting complaint | |
History of Presenting Complaint (onset, duration, fields affected) | |
Associated features (red eye, discharge, pain) | |
Previous episodes | |
Any associated features (sensory changes – pins and needles/numbness, weakness/falls, bowel/bladder changes, confusion, speech changes) | |
Red flags: headache (worse on coughing/bending/with vomiting), loss of consciousness, recent trauma | |
Constitutional symptoms (fever, weight loss, malaise, loss of appetite) | |
Past Medical History | |
Family History | |
Drug History and allergies | |
Social History (smoking, alcohol, drugs) | |
Ideas e.g. “Was there anything you thought it might be?” | |
Concerns e.g. “What about it is worrying you in particular?” | |
Expectations e.g. “Is there anything particular, you’re hoping we could do for you?” | |
Summarizes and thanks patient | |
Offer differentials (optic neuritis, multiple sclerosis, screen for amaurosis fugax, retinal detachment) and appropriate follow up (fundoscopy, bloods, imaging – MRI scans) |
0 Comments
Post a Comment