Name | Lindy Barlett |
DOB | 02/12/1991 (23 years) |
Occupation | Cartoonist |
History | I have had blood mixed in with my stool for 2 weeks. It is around 2-3 tablespoons of murky blood with bits of mucous in it each time I pass stool. It has got worse from the last time it occurred 2 months ago, where it was less blood but still around 2-3 weeks. My stool has also been runnier but has some lumps. I have also found myself going more frequently, up to 3 times a day whereas I used to go once a day at most. I cannot think of any triggers or any particular foods which worsen or improve my symptoms. It's a little uncomfortable but not too painful. I have lost around 4kg in weight. I deny any nausea or vomiting. I have not been in contact with anyone unwell or travelled abroad. just feel unwell with a slight fever and stomach upset. No other symptoms including no joint pain, rashes or eye symptoms. I know that this is cancer and I should've got it checked earlier because I looked up my symptoms online. |
Past Medical History | Nil |
Drug History | Nil. No recent antibiotic use or use of laxatives. No known allergies. |
Family History | Mother has psoriasis. Nil else |
Social History | Smoking 20 cigarettes per day. No alcohol or recreational drug use. No recent travel |
Introduces self | 0 | 1 | |
Confirms name & age of patient | 0 | 1 | |
Explains reason for consultation & builds rapport | 0 | 1 | |
Gains consent | 0 | 1 | |
Asks open question | 0 | 1 | |
Clarifies that it is not haematuria or vaginal bleeding (if female) | 0 | 1 | |
Clarifies whether blood is mixed in with stool, around the stool, dripping from the anus or on tissue paper | 0 | 1 | |
Establishes duration and trigger (if present) | 0 | 1 | |
Establishes character: fresh, dark/melaena, liquid/clots, mucus, smell | 0 | 1 | |
Establishes amount and frequency | 0 | 1 | |
Establishes time course (worsening, continuous, intermittent) | 0 | 1 | |
Asks for alleviating or exacerbating factors (specifically dietary, constipation, anal intercourse, foreign bodies) | 0 | 1 | 2 |
Asks for associated pain, itching, tenesmus, lumps/piles, prolapse, change in bowel habit, abdominal pain | 0 | 1 | 2 |
Asks for IBD symptoms: red eye, joint pain, skin lesions, oral ulcers, bloody diarrhoea | 0 | 1 | |
Establishes if symptoms of anaemia are present: lethargy, palpitations, shortness of breath | 0 | 1 | |
Identifies any red flags: haematemsis, weight loss, loss of appetite | 0 | 1 | |
Asks for any recent illness, bleeding from elsewhere or any family members/contacts with similar symptoms | 0 | 1 | |
Elicits past medical and surgical history (specifically previous rectal bleeding or disorders, bowel disorders) | 0 | 1 | |
Asks for any recent foreign travel | 0 | 1 | |
Elicits family history (specifically asking for colon cancer, polyps, angiodysplasia, inflammatory bowel disease) | 0 | 1 | |
Elicits drug history (specifically NSAIDs, warfarin or other blood thinners) | 0 | 1 | |
Checks for allergies | 0 | 1 | |
Checks if patient smokes or drinks | 0 | 1 | |
Asks if any history of illicit drug use | 0 | 1 | |
Checks impact of symptoms on occupation | 0 | 1 | |
Explores and responds to ideas | 0 | 1 | |
Explores and responds to concerns | 0 | 1 | |
Explores and responds to expectations | 0 | 1 | |
Shows empathy | 0 | 1 | |
Avoids jargon | 0 | 1 | |
Summarises back to patient | 0 | 1 | |
Thanks patient | 0 | 1 | |
Patient global score | 0 | 1 | 2 |
Gives reasonable differential diagnosis (Inflammatory bowel disease, Infective gastroenteritis, Polyps) | 0 | 1 |
0 Comments
Post a Comment