Name | Ramsay Tucker |
DOB | 13/08/42 (72 years) |
Occupation | Retired Mechanic |
History | For the last 2 months I have been feeling more breathless, particularly when I do any form of activity. I can only walk around 50 metres now where as 3 months ago I was fine! I don't feel breathless when I have been resting though unless I'm lying down when it can get so bad I wake up gasping for breath. I haven't noticed any wheeze or other odd breath sounds. I have a cough with some frothy sputum but no blood. Also been feeling some nausea from time to time. I have also had some leg swelling for around the same time. I deny any other symptoms including chest pain, palpitations, fever, night sweats or weight loss. |
Past Medical History | Previous heart attack 4 years ago. Hypertension, diabetes, high blood cholesterol. Nil else. |
Drug History | Aspirin, Ramipril, Simvastatin |
Family History | Father died of heart attack at 60. Nil else. |
Social History | I am an ex-smoker that used to smoke 10 a day for 40 years. Nil alcohol or recreational drug use. I am having a lot of trouble with my daily activities. I cannot shop or dress myself among many other things. |
Introduces self | 0 | 1 | |
Confirms name & age of patient | 0 | 1 | |
Explains reason for consultation & builds rapport | 0 | 1 | |
Gains consent | 0 | 1 | |
Asks open question | 0 | 1 | |
Asks about onset (gradual/sudden) | 0 | 1 | |
Asks about duration and changes to breathlessness | 0 | 1 | |
Enquires about exacerbating factors including exertion, chemicals/pollen, lying flat | 0 | 1 | 2 |
Asks about variability over the day: constant/progressively worse/worse in the morning or night | 0 | 1 | |
Enquires about severity by asking about exercise tolerance on flat and up stairs and on rest | 0 | 1 | 2 |
Asks about any recent illness or surgery or previous shortness of breath | 0 | 1 | |
Asks for cough and sputum and if present explores further | 0 | 1 | 2 |
Asks for orthopnoea and paroxyasmal nocturnal dyspnoea and if present explores further | 0 | 1 | |
Asks for added breath sounds such as wheeze and if present explores further | 0 | 1 | |
Asks for chest pain and characterises chest pain if present | 0 | 1 | |
Asks for ankle oedema | 0 | 1 | |
Asks for any fever or contact with anyone with similar symptoms | 0 | 1 | |
Asks for any palpitations or dizziness | 0 | 1 | |
Checks for red flags: haemoptysis, weight loss, night sweats and hoarseness | 0 | 1 | 2 |
Checks if patient is current or ex-smoker and number of pack years | 0 | 1 | 2 |
Asks about past medical history (specifically COPD and heart attacks) | 0 | 1 | 2 |
Asks about any family history of disease | 0 | 1 | |
Establishes any drugs or over the counter medication patient is on | 0 | 1 | |
Asks if patient has any allergies | 0 | 1 | |
Asks if patient drinks or takes recreational drugs | 0 | 1 | |
Elicits patients occupation and any possible exposure to asbestos | 0 | 1 | |
Asks if patient has travelled anywhere recently | 0 | 1 | |
Explores impact of shortness of breath on activities of daily living | 0 | 1 | 2 |
Explores and responds to ideas | 0 | 1 | |
Explores and responds to concerns | 0 | 1 | |
Explores and responds to expectations | 0 | 1 | |
Shows empathy | 0 | 1 | |
Avoids jargon | 0 | 1 | |
Summarises back to patient | 0 | 1 | |
Thanks patient | 0 | 1 | |
Patient global score | 0 | 1 | 2 |
Gives reasonable differential diagnosis (congestive heart failure, valve disease, nephrotic syndrome) | 0 | 1 |
0 Comments
Post a Comment