Name | Lee Sabatino |
DOB | 12/12/1948 (66 years) |
Occupation | Television presenter |
History | I am embarrassed to admit that I have come because I've noticed fresh blood mixed in with my stool. It began a few weeks ago and hasn't really changed in amount. It occurs every time I go and I find myself getting increasingly worried. I have not noticed any change in my bowel habits. I am still going 2-3 times per week. If asked directly, I may have lost 5kg in the last few weeks but haven't been dieting or anything else. I have had no other symptoms (no appetite loss, nausea/vomiting, incomplete emptying, pain). Apart from this I have been feeling more tired for a number of weeks but deny palpitations or breathlessness. I also deny any rashes, joint pain or eye symptoms. I have never experienced this before. I have not had any recent illness nor contact with anyone ill nor have I been abroad recently. |
Past Medical History | No history of polyps or bleeding disorders. I do not participate in the bowel cancer screening programme. Have high blood pressure. |
Drug History | I take paracetamol for the occasional headache and some medication to lower my blood pressure |
Family History | No family history of bowel disorders including cancer. Mother had endometrial cancer at 60 years which was treated successfully. Father has prostate cancer at 90 years. |
Social History | I smoke and drink on the weekends but not in excess |
Introduces self | 0 | 1 | |
Confirms name & age of patient | 0 | 1 | |
Explains reason for consultation & builds rapport | 0 | 1 | |
Gains consent | 0 | 1 | |
Asks open question | 0 | 1 | |
Clarifies that it is not haematuria or vaginal bleeding (if female) | 0 | 1 | |
Clarifies whether blood is mixed in with stool, around the stool, dripping from the anus or on tissue paper | 0 | 1 | |
Establishes duration and trigger (if present) | 0 | 1 | |
Establishes character: fresh, dark/melaena, liquid/clots, mucus, smell | 0 | 1 | |
Establishes amount and frequency | 0 | 1 | |
Establishes time course (worsening, continuous, intermittent) | 0 | 1 | |
Asks for alleviating or exacerbating factors (specifically dietary, constipation, anal intercourse, foreign bodies) | 0 | 1 | 2 |
Asks for associated pain, itching, tenesmus, lumps/piles, prolapse, change in bowel habit, abdominal pain | 0 | 1 | 2 |
Asks for IBD symptoms: red eye, joint pain, skin lesions, oral ulcers, bloody diarrhoea | 0 | 1 | |
Establishes if symptoms of anaemia are present: lethargy, palpitations, shortness of breath | 0 | 1 | |
Identifies any red flags: haematemsis, weight loss, loss of appetite | 0 | 1 | |
Asks for any recent illness, bleeding from elsewhere or any family members/contacts with similar symptoms | 0 | 1 | |
Asks if they participate in bowel screening programme (above 60 years in England) | 0 | 1 | |
Elicits past medical and surgical history (specifically previous rectal bleeding or disorders, bowel disorders) | 0 | 1 | |
Asks for any recent foreign travel | 0 | 1 | |
Elicits family history (specifically asking for colon cancer, polyps, angiodysplasia, inflammatory bowel disease) | 0 | 1 | |
Elicits drug history (specifically NSAIDs, warfarin or other blood thinners) | 0 | 1 | |
Checks for allergies | 0 | 1 | |
Checks if patient smokes or drinks | 0 | 1 | |
Asks if any history of illicit drug use | 0 | 1 | |
Checks impact of symptoms on occupation | 0 | 1 | |
Explores and responds to ideas | 0 | 1 | |
Explores and responds to concerns | 0 | 1 | |
Explores and responds to expectations | 0 | 1 | |
Shows empathy | 0 | 1 | |
Avoids jargon | 0 | 1 | |
Summarises back to patient | 0 | 1 | |
Thanks patient | 0 | 1 | |
Patient global score | 0 | 1 | 2 |
Gives reasonable differential diagnosis (Bowel cancer, Polyps, Inflammatory Bowel Disease) | 0 | 1 |
0 Comments
Post a Comment