Name | Jung Trombley |
DOB | 19/01/47 (67 years) |
Occupation | Taxi driver |
History | For at least 8 months I have been experiencing worsening shortness of breath, excessive coughing and I have been producing a lot of mostly clear sputum which is occasionally green. If pressed this is above what I usually do as a smoker. I can only walk about 200 metres now but I'm not surprised by this as I am old. I also notice that I'm wheezing so I must have asthma. I deny any other symptoms including chest pain, waking up at night gasping for breath, palpitations, fainting, weight loss, night sweats and fever. |
Past Medical History | Type 2 Diabetes and high blood pressure for 5 years controlled by diet alone |
Drug History | Vitamin D tablets |
Family History | Father had heart attack at 70 years. Nil else |
Social History | In third floor flat with no lift. I struggle to get shopping and therefore also cook for myself. I am okay with all other activities. My neighbour sometimes helps me with food. I smoke 40 a day and have done so all my life since I was 18. I drink occasionally. I smoked a lot of cannabis during my teenage years. |
Introduces yourself | 0 | 1 | |
Confirms name & age of patient | 0 | 1 | |
Explains reason for consultation & builds rapport | 0 | 1 | |
Gains consent | 0 | 1 | |
Asks open question | 0 | 1 | |
Asks about onset (gradual/sudden) | 0 | 1 | |
Asks about duration and changes to breathlessness | 0 | 1 | |
Enquires about exacerbating factors including exertion, chemicals/pollen, lying flat | 0 | 1 | 2 |
Asks about variability over the day: constant/progressively worse/worse in the morning or night | 0 | 1 | |
Enquires about severity by asking about exercise tolerance on flat and up stairs and on rest | 0 | 1 | 2 |
Asks about any recent illness or previous shortness of breath | 0 | 1 | |
Asks for cough and sputum and if present explores further | 0 | 1 | 2 |
Asks for orthopnoea and paroxyasmal nocturnal dyspnoea and if present explores further | 0 | 1 | |
Asks for added breath sounds such as wheeze and if present explores further | 0 | 1 | |
Asks for chest pain and characterises chest pain if present | 0 | 1 | |
Asks for ankle oedema | 0 | 1 | |
Asks for any fever or contact with anyone with similar symptoms or sick animals | 0 | 1 | |
Asks for any palpitations or dizziness | 0 | 1 | |
Checks for red flags: haemoptysis, weight loss, night sweats and hoarseness | 0 | 1 | 2 |
Checks if patient is current or ex-smoker and number of pack years | 0 | 1 | 2 |
Asks about past medical history (specifically hayfever, eczema, COPD and heart attacks) | 0 | 1 | 2 |
Asks about any family history of disease (specifically eczema, asthma, lung cancer/fibrosis) | 0 | 1 | |
Establishes any drugs or over the counter medication patient is on | 0 | 1 | |
Asks if patient has any allergies | 0 | 1 | |
Asks if patient drinks or takes recreational drugs | 0 | 1 | |
Elicits patients occupation and any possible exposure to asbestos | 0 | 1 | 2 |
Asks if patient has travelled anywhere recently | 0 | 1 | |
Explores impact of shortness of breath on activities of daily living | 0 | 1 | 2 |
Explores and responds to ideas | 0 | 1 | |
Explores and responds to concerns | 0 | 1 | |
Explores and responds to expectations | 0 | 1 | |
Shows empathy | 0 | 1 | |
Avoids jargon | 0 | 1 | |
Summarises back to patient | 0 | 1 | |
Thanks patient | 0 | 1 | |
Patient global score | 0 | 1 | 2 |
Gives reasonable differential diagnosis (COPD, asthma, lung cancer, pneumonia) | 0 | 1 |
0 Comments
Post a Comment